Thursday, March 10, 2011

Retro Friday ... Depeche MODE

Today's edition of Retro Friday features the band Depeche Mode ... but picking a DM song is darn near impossible as I love them all!!

Depeche Mode (pronounced /dɛˈpɛʃ/, de-PESH) are an English electronic music band which formed in 1980, in Basildon, Essex.


Depeche Mode have had forty-eight songs in the UK Singles Chart and #1 albums in UK, US and throughout Europe. According to EMI, Depeche Mode have sold over 100 million albums and singles worldwide, making them the most successful electronic band in music history. Q magazine call Depeche Mode "The most popular electronic band the world has ever known".

And I truly don't think there is a Depeche Mode song that I've met ... that I haven't liked!

Here are a couple of my faves.

Everything Counts ... oh how I love this song. I know if you look at the lyrics it is more of a big business greed song, but this week it has meant something very different to me. I know we are not meant to be on this earth forever, but we all need to slow down and keep in mind that everything does count ... every moment, every conversation, every experience. Everything counts in large and small amounts!


Behind the Wheel/Route 66 ... I love the mix of these two songs. Behind the Wheel is such a seductive song, as many of Depeche Mode's songs are, and Route 66 is a favorite of mine seeing as I've landed myself in St. Louis .... Route 66!


Blue Dress ... yet another seductive Depeche Mode song ... they seemed to have been very much captivated by issues of control ... and then the lack thereof! But I do love the haunting sound of this song.


A Question of Lust ... and finally (though I could keep doing this forever as I really haven't met a DM song that I don't like) a song that shows a softer side of Depeche Mode. I can vividly remember being on spring break, Junior year at Notre Dame, sunning ourselves on the beach in Fort Myers, listening to this song on my walkman ... pining over some boy ... who probably didn't even have any clue that I existed! Ahhh ... teenage (early 20's?) angst!


And there you have today's edition of Retro Friday ... a smattering of Depeche MODE!
Cheers!








1 comment:

  1. Since the debut 1982 Speak & Spell LP i am a huge fan. I think from 82 until 90 i have all available albums and Singles.

    Ha, when looking at my DM folder, iTunes says:
    849 items 3,2 days 9,8 GB

    The only band in my huge itunes library with two 5-star albums:
    Violator & A Broken Frame.

    Here some of my favorites:

    Get the Balance right (Combination mix)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NjTLKKgcVxM
    Incredible remix, one of the huge hits back in Boarding School.
    Still today awesome song. I think the only single not released on an album and first one co-written by Alan Wilder. Hard to get at the time.

    "..When you reach the top, get ready to drop
    Prepare yourself for the fall, you're gonna fall
    It's almost predictable..."

    Tora! Tora! Tora! Live 1982
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PobwBG2K_qY
    It was a B-side of a Maxi-Single if i recall it correctly.

    In the early eighties (no video recorder, etc.), the boarding school had a small cinema, showing 16mm movies every Thursday evening. Of course the movies were pre-approved by the monks. I was part of the students team who selected and showed the movies.
    This song was our Intro song, each Thursday, right before the movie began. Talk about a "Signature song"

    Stripped
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Lr6d9wvjRM
    Listen to it. Good Lord this song still sends shivers down my spine.

    "Let me see you, Stripped down to the bone
    Let me hear you speaking, Just for me"

    In memory of AR, my high school love. :-)

    speaking of her, this was "our" first song:
    Somebody
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sCNgQLC0wA8
    Incredible song and performance.
    Reunited with the one and only Alan Wilder

    A very nice way to close out a blog comment.

    ReplyDelete