Friday, June 17, 2011

Sympathy for the Devil

This week's edition of Retro Friday features the song Sympathy for the Devil by the Rolling Stones.

While this particular song does not really qualify as "Retro Music" (Retro Music is more classified as alternative music from the 80's and early 90's) ... in light of this week's events, this is today's song!

When I was at Notre Dame we hung out with these guys who had a band called Bughaus. They played a great mix of cover tunes ... some current songs, some songs of old, and a few original songs of their own. They played at many bars around town, in addition to house parties as well. Most of the house parties that they played at were in houses of architecture students, as one of the band mates was an "Arky" guy ... and all of the "Arky houses" had names. The Potatoe House. The Bug House. The Bucket.

One fine weekend we get an invite to a party at The Potatoe House, featuring the band Bughaus ... but the party is entitled "Puzzle's Wake." The ticket reads (and yes, I still have the ticket in my scrapbook!): Bughaus solemnly presents PUZZLE'S WAKE, Sympathy for the Beagle. As it turns out, their beagle "Puzzle" had passed away, and hey, why not turn their loss into happiness ... and what better way to celebrate their dog's life than by having a wake/party in his honor.

It's funny ... the most vivid thing I remember about this party, other than the tickets, was the playing of the song ... Sympathy for the Devil.

Please allow me to introduce myself
I'm a man of wealth and taste
I've been around for a long, long year
Stole many a man's soul and faith

And I was 'round when Jesus Christ
Had his moment of doubt and pain
Made damn sure that Pilate
Washed his hands and sealed his fate

Pleased to meet you
Hope you guess my name
But what's puzzling you
Is the nature of my game


So here's what really prompted me to use this song today. When my husband and I were dating, I bought him this precious little orange and white kitten, which he named Taz in honor of the bar that he worked at, Tasmania. Then in return, he bought me this precious little black and white kitten, which I named Puzzle, in honor of the dog from way back when in college.

Within the last 9 months, we have buried both kitties. Puzzle fell asleep quite peacefully, and entered into her extended kitty nap ... but Taz did not have such an easy go. On Wednesday of this week, Taz was attacked by a neighborhood dog, who was quite large and ended up crushing his shoulder and part of his spinal cord. I rushed home from work and we took him to the vet, but there was nothing that they could do. We all said our goodbyes, and now he and Puzzle are enjoying their extended kitty nap together.

So this song is for Taz and Puzzle ... may you have all of the milk you wish for in heaven ... and plenty of mice to chase.

And for your listening pleasure: Sympathy for the Devil



Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment