Monday, May 14, 2012

Unfinished Stories

I always thought I did not like stories without endings; that I did not like instances in which I did not receive some sort of closure. But after yesterday, I am beginning to think that those situations in our lives in which we do not receive the closure that we think we need, are just nudges from God to walk by faith, and not by sight.

I thought I was like that Mother of three children (under the age of 5), who was a school teacher by day, and Mother by night. She had been reading a fictional book in her down time, only to get to the end and find out that the author had not wrapped up any of the story, in an attempt to encourage the reader to use their imagination. At which point she pens a letter to the author saying, “I am a Mother of three children and a school teacher. I use my imagination non-stop in my classroom and at home with my children. The last thing I want to do is use my freakin imagination to figure out how your book ends!”

Upon some reflection yesterday, though, is not the ultimate of unfinished stories Matthew’s gospel? Matthew writes (MATTHEW 28:1-10) about the women arriving at the tomb of Jesus and being told by the angel that Jesus is not there and that they should instruct the disciples to go to Galilee.

That moment right there, is the ultimate faith moment. They have no idea where Jesus is or where he has been taken. They have no idea what awaits them in Galilee, and yet they go with the faith and belief that everything will be okay.

Maybe I don’t need the tidy little boxes after all. Maybe that’s what life’s journey is all about … walking by faith and without sight. Enjoying the journey without worrying about what is around the corner. Living in the here and now, and not worrying about the yesterdays, the tomorrows, and the what-ifs.

What say you?!

Cheers!


1 comment:

  1. Sometimes turning the corner can be exciting and rewarding. Life is too short to worry about what could have been and all the "what if's".

    Our lives are made up of many small journeys. Ufortunately, some of them will be bad. But we must not concentrate on those. God sees to it that we'll have many good journeys. And maybe he does nudge us from time to time to alert us to walk by faith, and not by site. I think it's His way of helping us wear a pair of corrective glasses so we can see things more clearly when we need to.

    I'm glad you followed up your original post with this one. Thank you for all the wonderful articles you write.

    ReplyDelete