Sunday, January 20, 2013

A Bittersweet Night in St. Louis


[Stan Musial won seven National League batting titles, was a three-time M.V.P. and helped the St. Louis Cardinals capture three World Series championships. Photo: Patrick Burns/The New York Times]

[NoCoastBias.com] It was an evening St. Louis Blues fans had all been anxiously awaiting. The NHL lockout finally in the rear view mirror, the Blues were ready to take the ice against the Detroit Red Wings and get the 2013 season started.

Stan and Lil Musial (Photo from Fox2 St. Louis)
On an evening that should have been a celebration, fans in St. Louis had their world rocked with the announcement of the passing of Stan Musial ... "Stan the Man." At 92 years of age, I know I should not be so shocked at his passing, but it really brought me great sadness when I heard the news.

I had the great pleasure of meeting "Stan the Man" once. I used to work at an advertising agency that was in the same building as the offices of "Stan the Man, Inc." I was walking to the vending machine one day (chocolate fix) when I ran into Stan. It was such a great honor to meet him and get a chance to talk to him, and he in return was pleasantly surprised that a young girl like myself actually knew who he was. It is a moment I will never forget. That and when he played "Happy Birthday" on his harmonica for one of my co-workers ... that was pretty cool as well.

I am overjoyed to have hockey back, but I am filled with sorrow at the passing of a truly great man.

Here is what people are talking about on twitter ... about the Blues, and Stan the Man. Rest in peace, Stan.

Cheers!


No comments:

Post a Comment