Monday, August 16, 2010

Blue Monday

The mind is a powerful thing. You can either be happy … or not … but a lot of that has to do with the frame of mind that you keep. And when I feel like I am falling into some sort of “funk,” what best pulls me out of it is music!

So here we are, on yet another Monday, and I’d like to reflect for a moment on my “happy music.” Happy music to me is the music I listened to in the 80’s when I was in high school. My favorite radio station, KROQ, ROQ of the 80’s, can still be found and listened to online on a KROQ HD2 station out of Los Angeles (which, by-the-way, is the best internet find I’ve made yet). And it is still a marvel to me that I can turn on KROQ and instantly fall into my happy place. Is it really possible that something as simple as a few good tunes can really improve your mood that much? I think it can!

Now if you asked me to give you my typical KROQ play list for a happy day … this would be it!

My happy music on KROQ, ROQ of the 80’s:

Roxanne … The Police
Why Can’t I Be You? … The Cure
Rock Lobster … B52s
Route 66 … Depeche Mode
Dead Man’s Party … Oingo Boingo
Fire Woman … The Cult
Promises Promises … Naked Eyes
Pop Song … REM
Head Over Heels … Tears For Fears
Mony Mony … Billy Idol
Never Tear Us Apart … INXS
Jane Says … Jane’s Addiction
Walk Like An Egyptian … The Bangles
Heart of Glass … Blondie
Electric Blue … Ice House
How Soon Is Now? … The Smiths
Don’t Go … Yaz
Life in a Northern Town … The Dream Academy
Love My Way … The Psychedelic Furs
Rip Her to Shreds … Blondie
The Metro ... Berlin
It’s My Life … Talk Talk
A Hazy Shade of Winter … Bangles
I Want Candy … Bow Wow Wow
Suddenly Last Summer … The Motels
Tesla Girls … OMD
Always Something There To Remind Me ... Naked Eyes
A Girl Like You ... The Smithereens
Masquerade ... Berlin
Should I Stay, Or Should I Go? ... The Clash
What Is Love? ... Howard Jones
Buffalo Stance ... Neneh Cherry
Message in a Bottle ... The Police

(I'm sure I'm missing some great ones ... but this is what rolled off the top of my head!)

What’s on your “happy soundtrack?”


Cheers!


1 comment:

  1. I still listen to the Cure, the Smiths, The Smithereens, Janes Addiction, The Cult... they and others 80's bands got me through the long nights in studio during college...

    ReplyDelete