Friday, February 11, 2011

Retro Friday: I hope you know this will go down on your permanent record ...

Today's edition of Retro Friday features the Violent Femmes and the song Kiss Off!

Ahhh, the Violent Femmes. They pretty much kicked off my freshman year in college! And the story goes something like this!


Notre Dame brings the freshman class in a few days before the rest of the students arrive to do a Freshman Orientation Weekend. Freshman Orientation Weekend consists of moving in (duh), going to speaker sessions, going to Mass, and mixers among other things. The most memorable "mixer" from Freshman Orientation Weekend was the "Graffiti Dance." At the "Graffiti Dance" you wear a white t-shirt, bring a marker, and meet other people in your freshman class and "sign" their shirt with your name and/or phone number. Well, you can imagine that this just becomes a total meat market, but it was still fun all the same!

We actually had our t-shirts from the "Graffiti Dance" hanging up on the wall in our dorm room for most of freshman year. It was such a funny reminder to us of how all of this started!

So we met these guys at the Griffiti Dance (isn't that how it always starts?) who invited us to a party the first weekend of school. Cool. We've only been here one day and we've already gotten a party invite. These guys lived in Grace Hall and had this awesome set up. There were like six of them in this three room suite, so you can only imagine how great that was for a party!

The guys that we met at this party ended up being great friends to us all throughout college. Including the upper classmen that we met at this party (who were Juniors) who ended up being our "big brothers" of sort. But one of the most memorable events of this particular party is as follows.

This guy, (we'll call him "J"), invited me into one of the rooms because he wanted to play this song for me. He was cute and so I figured, what the heck! So we're in his room, and the song he plays/sings for me is "Kiss Off" by the Violent Femmes. And if you don't know the lyrics to the song ... let me just say that it's kind of a weird song to sing to a girl that you've just met!

Then all of the sudden I got this panicked feeling that maybe something bad was about to happen, so I quickly made my exit the first chance I got! The guy ended up being harmless, just really weird, and he ended up dropping out of school after freshman year. I often wonder what ever happened to him ... but maybe it's better off that I don't know. The guy from High School that I often wondered what happened to him, when I finally found out, I was greatly disappointed ... so maybe I'm better off leaving well enough alone with "J."

In case you are curious ... here is a link for you to enjoy "Kiss Off" and the lyrics are below the photo!


I need someone a person to talk to
Someone who'd care to love
Could it be you could it be you
Situation gets rough then I start to panic
It's not enough it's just a habit
Hey kid you're sick well darling this is it
You can all just kiss off into the air
Behind my back I can see them stare
They'll hurt me bad but I won't mind
They'll hurt me bad they do it all the time
Yeah yeah they do it all the time
Yeah yeah they do it all the time
Yeah yeah they do it all the time
Yeah yeah they do it all the time
I hope you know this will go down
On your permanent record
Oh yeah well don't get so distressed
Did I happen to mention that I'm impressed
I take one one one cause you left me and
Two two two for my family and
3 3 3 for my heartache and
4 4 4 for my headaches and
5 5 5 for my loneliness and
6 6 6 for my sorrow and
7 7 for no tomorrow and
8 8 I forget what 8 was for and
9 9 9 for a lost god and
10 10 10 10 for everything everything everything everything
You can all just kiss off into the air
Behind my back I can see them stare
They'll hurt me bad but I won't mind
They'll hurt me bad they do it all the time
Yeah yeah,yeah they do it all the time
Yeah yeah,yeah they do it all the time
Do it all the time
Do it all the time
Do it all the time time time
Yeah yeah they do it all the time


Cheers!

1 comment:

  1. Sometimes i really wonder how we managed to hook up these days. Given the fact, that we did not have cell phones, sms, twitter, facebook, email, etc.
    Man, i remember my walks from Keenan to Lyons and visa versa.

    ReplyDelete