Friday, June 24, 2011

My Obsession

Today's edition of Retro Friday features the song Obsession, by the band Animotion.

Animotion is a 1980s U.S. New Wave band from Los Angeles, California, best known for their song "Obsession," written by Michael Des Barres and Holly Knight. The band began in 1983, born out of the remains of a retro science-fiction band called Red Zone They signed a record deal with Polygram Records in 1984 and made three albums.

The song Obsession reached number six in the United States on the U.S. Billboard Hot 100, and number five in the United Kingdom on the UK Singles Chart in early 1985, helped by a distinct video that received heavy rotation on MTV.

The music video features the Animotion band members — focusing on the two singers, Bill Wadhams and Astrid Plane — dressed in various costumes (such as Mark Antony and Cleopatra) while performing the song next to a swimming pool.

This song holds special meaning to me on this particular day. Today is my husband and my wedding anniversary, and this song played an important role on the day we met.

Way back in the mid 90's, my friends and I decided to go check out this new dance club in downtown St. Louis called Tasmania. We were very excited to check out this new club because on Thursday nights they had what they called "Retro Mania" ... where they played all "Retro" 80's music. The first night that we decided to check out this dance club was on St. Patrick's Day, which as an Irish girl is a big day in my book, and we got there early so that we could check it out before it got too crowded.

My friend B and I went upstairs to request songs from the DJ. If I remember correctly she requested a song by A Flock of Seagulls, and I requested Obsession by Animotion. We headed back downstairs to the dance floor, and not only did he play my song, but he also came down stairs and watched us dance while my song was playing. I was pretty stoked, because he was pretty darn cute, and I thought that it meant that he liked me.

Uh, no. After my song, he ended up talking to my friend B for a while, and then at the end of the night they swapped phone numbers. Aghh.

They ended up talking on the phone for a few weeks, until he figured out that she already HAD a boyfriend, and then that was the end of him and B. A few weeks after that, I went back to the same club with another friend, and he was there again. This time he and I ended up talking, and then WE exchanged phone numbers ... and then six months later he was down on one knee proposing. And now 16 years later he is still my best friend and the love of my life!

(And here we are ... a "retro" version of us!)


So thank you very much to that cute DJ for playing my song Obsession ... and the rest, as they say, is history!

And for your listening pleasure, here is Obsession, by Animotion!


Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment